- Parent Category: Pages
Let us Dry Out your Basement Today!
Have you tried everything to dry out your wet basement? If you have, then finding a solution may seem impossible. If you have given up the fight and don’t know what else to do, then it is time to call a professional.
A wet basement is the breeding ground for mold and mildew, and can significantly reduce the value of your property. Over time, water damage can undermine the structural integrity of your basement and can increase your heating bills as it increases the humidity of your entire house. A dry basement will increase the living space available in your home and relieve your stress every time it rains.
Be careful of wet basement or wet yard contractors who want to seal the basement without doing a thorough inspection to find the root cause or source of the water. Many times, sealing is putting a Band-Aid on a serious problem and can be unreliable if the true water source is not identified and fixed. A water damage contractor should do a thorough investigation to identify the source of water and then line out an acceptable plan within your budget.
Once you notice that you have a wet basement; the first critical step is to check for surface water. The standing water in your yard (A Wet Yard) may be the problem affecting your basement as well.
Common methods used to solve the problem include:
- Re-grading yard surfaces that slope towards the house to provide positive storm water flow at least 15 feet away from foundation walls.
- Installation of berms and swales to divert water.
- Installation of Field Drains (buried perforated pipe surrounded by gravel as a natural debris filter) to collect and redirect water.
- Trimming foliage and removing wet leaves to allow sunlight to dry yard surfaces.
- Extending storm lines underground away from foundation walls for positive storm water flow.
- Extending sump pump discharge lines underground.
- Installation of sump pumps.
- Drain tile installation.
It often takes a combination of all of exterior site work, interior waterproofing and extension of storm lines to solve the problem. However, the good news is that if addressed properly, you will have a pleasant, dry basement for many years to come. Hugh’s Services, Inc. has alleviated many water problems after identifying the source of the leak, and will always communicate clearly with you and identify a solution that will work within your budget. We will cover every detail so you don't have to worry.